Wednesday, October 27, 2010

How much is too much?

Damnit, CBC. I was just lying in the sun and enjoying a rare moment of peace ( of mind ) and you tossed a  genuinely creepy story in the mix, yet again! This has not been an isolated incident, either. What is wrong with "the media"?

It was a genuinely cruel story about mass sled dog slaughter, too. I real doozy for some of us with gentle hearts and fragile minds.

This comes on top of their lead story this weekend that a man convicted of murdering a child was bipolar.
They just slipped it in there, like a key card under a door. A door that opened the populace to the idea that bipolar people are all a bunch of murderers. Hell, it even scared me. (I am bipolar)  They neglected to find out what type of disorder he had, or his comorbidities, of course. Just plain old bipolar will do.  I suppose my idea of starting a nanny agency staffed with bipolarites will just have to wait.

I wonder just who it is that picks and chooses the stories over there.  Is it someone who is deterred to sustain their level of heady depression, then spreading it around? Someone getting kick backs from GSK, Abbott and or Pfizer to keep the steady stream of people on SSRI's flowing? Is it someone who is trying to get the populace to be less apathetic to the injustices of the world?

Well, I think mental illness is the new racism. In new stories of the past ( and sadly present) race was presented as if it was a motivator/cause/reason for violent crime. Mental illness is now skirted in as a more PC replacement. However, it causes just as much damage.  It causes fear all around and when is fear a jumping off point into anything positive?

What I would like is more balance, less sensationalism and more positivity. Not naive positivity, devoid of fact and precedence, but a thoughtful positivity.  Not news stories on baby ducks playing in the rain and ponies whinnying  in the sunshine positivity...but good things on the horizon and people making a difference positive. Maybe even a story where the mentally ill are not killing children.

2 comments:

  1. the media likes to instil a sense of fear in all of us. Because a story about sled dogs pulling sleds and just living their lives just isn't as interesting.
    The media targets parents too... Don't let your kids play alone outside 'cause some 'crazy' person might come along and kidnap them. more often than not it's someone you know who is gonna do stuff like that. So I refuse to let media dictate how i raise my children. I will do what I can to keep them safe but i cannot protect them from everything (nor do I want to... what kind of person would they be if they didn't get hurt once in a while)
    anyway... that's it for now.
    p.s. I'm mentally ill and my children are still alive and well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay Shandra! The crazies are out to keep kids safe, too!

    ReplyDelete